Direct Care Worker
Adult Services Support
- Ensures the consistent completion of all aspects of each participant’s personal care program (hygiene, bowel & bladder management, medication management, skin care, any other individual health care requirements). Assists the participant as needed.
- Monitors all health issues and ensures that each individual contacts the necessary health care provider for treatment of issues outside the scope of the staff.
- Participates in the development of each participant’s goal plan and contributes to the development of the daily work plan necessary to achieve the goals.
- Understands each individual’s goal plan and ensures that activities contribute to the achievement of those goals using a rehabilitation approach.
- Assists the individual in the completion of daily tasks related to achieving goals and with all activities necessary to maintain heath.
- Completes appropriate documentation as outlined for each area of Adult Services.
- Completes aspects of the various assessments of individuals in the Adult Services Programs.
- Sets personal goals, defines instructional strategies, and defines amount of assistance needed in cooperation with the individual.
- Works with each individual to improve all areas which are deficient and ensures that all activities listed on the checklist are completed.
- Teaches skills, adapts tasks, and provides physical assistance at a level consistent with each individual’s capabilities, limitations and goals. These include, but are not limited to: health care, self care, vocational and job search activities, educational activities, menu planning, grocery shopping, cooking, budgeting, cleaning, organization of living environment, community social integration, scheduling of appointments, daily decision making, and transportation.
- Encourages and supports the socialization needs and skills development of each participant.
- Encourages each participant to take a leading role in the development and implementation of their goal plan.
- Seeks varied methods of engaging participants to enhance their learning and maintain interest.
- Maintains positive and professional relationships with program participants, family members, and significant others in support of the participants, agency representatives.
- Promotes the services of the organization to individuals, family members, and community agencies and identifies potential particpants.
- Supports and carries out the philosophy, goals, objectives and mission of the organization.
- Assists with all aspects of program delivery, not limited to the program in which the staff member may be generally assigned.
- Ensures the ongoing safety and well being of all participants.
- Participates in the team delivery of services by effectively communicating to both program management and staff members a summary of activities completed and/or problems encountered.
- Seeks every opportunity to further the development and promote the work of SBAWP, including, but not limited to, publications, research, and presentations.
- Advocates for persons with disabilities.
- Follows all policies and procedures as required by SBAWP, accreditation and licensing agencies.
- Identifies staff educational needs and works with appropriate people to meet those needs.
- Attends all scheduled staff meetings.
- Oversees the use of all buildings and equipment owned, used or leased by the organization to avoid unnecessary damage and unwarranted wear. Reports damage and repair needs to the manager immediately.
- Understands and applies skills and knowledge related to the safety and emergency procedures, self care routines, cognitive limitations, and basic teaching skills.
- Completes all assigned duties in the allotted time frame.
- Represents the SBAWP as a leader in providing direct program services.
- Demonstrates commitment to the individuals being served through professional presentation of self and through initiative, enthusiasm, and flexibility.
- Remains current through the related literature. Supports a spirit of inquiry and innovation in practice.
Accepts responsibility for professional development.
- Identifies potential risks and investigates incidents. Takes appropriate corrective action and evaluates effectiveness.
Maintains competency in CPR, first aid, and personal care components of the role.
- Participates in the orientation of new staff.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: High school graduate or equivalent
Ability to bend, lift and assist with physical care.
Flexibility in scheduling
Able to work evenings/nights/weekends
Effective communication skills
Valid PA driver’s license
CPR and first aid certification
Act 33/34 clearance
FBI fingerprint clearance
Be screened and found to be free of mycobacterium tuberculosis
Preferred: Bachelors degree in special education, education, social services, psychology, rehabilitative services, health care, special education, education or related field
Experience working with persons with disabilities.