Adulthood (Age 18 or Post-High School)

Gatehouse Program
The more education you have, the more choices you have for work and career. Many people find that a high school education is not enough. You may want to consider an educational program after high school to prepare you for work and career:

  • Vocational education (hands-on training in job skills such as word processing, hair dressing, car repair)
  • Junior or community college
  • Technical education (training programs lasting several months to several years leading to specialized skills such as drafting, dental assisting, or commercial photography)
  • College or university

Students with disabilities are eligible for accommodations at most colleges, universities, and training programs. This is because Section 504 prohibits schools that receive any federal funding from discriminating against people with disabilities. Helpful accommodations might include a special parking permit, a tape recorder for class notes, or extra time for taking tests and completing assignments. You can find out about accessibility by:

  • Calling the school or program you are considering
  • Asking your guidance counselor
  • Looking at resources in your public library, such as Colleges with Programs for Students with Learning Disabilities (published by Peterson’s Guides) or Survival Guide for college Students with ADD or LD by Kathleen G. Nadeau.

If you decide to continue your education after high school, you’ll have to decide whether to live at home or on campus. The advantages and disadvantages of each choice are basically the same for you as for anyone making this decision. For example, if you live at home, costs will be less. On the other hand, living on campus gives you the experience of being on your own.
Courtesy of the SBAA Life After High School: Vocational Training or Advanced Education.